Develop an Internship Target
- What are your career goals?
- What skills do you need to strengthen in order for you to reach these goals?
- How will your targeted internship help you to strengthen your skills?
- What transferable skills do you have?
- What would you describe as the ideal internship for you?
Prepare for your Internship Search
- Register to use the CAPS Web site so you can browse the internship postings or search through directories of internships
- Contact companies directly and ask if there are internships available
- Network with people you know and make them aware of your goals (teachers, friends, family members, etc.)
- Check government Web sites
- Visit and register with Placement Étudiant
- Check out internship resources at the Career Resource Center (H-440)
- Get suggestions from the Outreach / Placement Officer at CAPS
Build your career portfolio
- Take advantage of workshops related to job search techniques and strategies
- Make an appointment to see one of our Placement Officers to get feedback on your CV and cover letter.
- Contact references and make a list available to employers upon request
- If your field of study requires you to have a portfolio, have it organized and available for viewing.
Set your priorities
- Make a prioritized list of desired internships
- Research the possibilities to the fullest extent
- Determine the best way to apply for the internship position
- Inquire if you are uncertain about requirements, eligibility or qualifications
- Find out the contact person
- Follow up on favorable responses